When I was growing up, I wanted to be Oprah or Barbara Walters and the truth of the matter is—I still do. However, I have come to that hard realization that a network is not going to come sweep me off my couch and into my own show, so I have decided to take matters into my own hands.
As part of an example to my children and more importantly to myself, I have decided to carpe my own diem and bring my dream to life—just in a little different fashion. I realized that I don’t need to interview the rich or famous to be inspired, because I am surrounded by amazing people in my own life.
For the next year, I am going to ask 52 very different people the same question and present their answer. My plan is to publish a book of all the advice at the end of the year and give it to my children to show them that your dreams can come true in many different ways.
- Don’t Take Seriously the First Words Out of the Mouth of a Confused, Embarrassed, or Panicked Adolescent..advice from Fred Strong (5/17/2017) - My next contributor was my first boss. This person plays an extraordinarily important role in your life because they are the first person to evaluate your abilities outside of home, school or activities. Looking, back,… More
- My Life is Just as it Should Be…advice from Valerie Winborne (5/11/2017) - “Mom. Did you know Mrs. Winborne is in the Smithsonian, has been in a Salt N Pepa video, worked with Spike Lee and was named the National Dance Society’s Master Dance Educator of the Year… More
- Nobody Cares What You Know UNTIL They Know You Care..advice from CEO Chris Calcagno (4/26/2017) - My next contributor touches on what should be an obvious but often forgotten tenet in this noisy world–the importance of care. This doesn’t surprise me because Chris Calcagno is one of the most caring people… More
- Listen to your mother and you, too, may become an Obi-Wan… advice from Dale Feltes (4/18/2017) - My next contributor graduated from the Naval Academy, earned an MBA from Harvard, served his country for 24 years and now overseas millions of dollars of construction as the Director of Design and Construction at… More
- Tom Cruise, the Eagle Scout and the Man in the Mirror…inspiration from attorney Don Marcari (4/4/2017) - One of the most memorable scenes In the movie, A Few Good Men, is the fiery and oft quoted exchange between Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson– “I want the truth!” –“You can’t handle the truth!” Now most… More
- Hard Work + Learning from Failure = Success …by Kathleen Cuce’ (3/28/2017) - Last week’s advice came from someone who took action on an idea and found her purpose. This week’s advice comes from identical twin sisters who took action on an idea and found their passion. In… More
- What I Really Want to Say About Parenting is Nothing at All…by Sara Beth Roberts (3/21/2017) - I’d like to introduce my next contributor by telling a story about purpose, but more importantly, about action. Sara Beth Roberts and I met for coffee to discuss some business about our neighborhood swim team… More
- It Doesn’t Matter…by Dr. Ron McKechnie (3/14/2017) - My next contributor is well respected as a cardiologist, but he is even more respected for genuinely being the most positive person in the room. He is an eternal optimist, has an unshakable faith, depth… More
- The Key to Happiness is Serving Others…by world renown photographer, Aaron Chang (3/7/2017) - My next contributor is considered the creator of modern surf and ocean photography. He has appeared on numerous TV shows, was named one of the top five… More
- Seven Tips for “Glory Days” by John Scheib (2/28/2017) - My next guest contributor has the clearest understanding of priorities and what truly matters of anyone I have ever met. He is an attorney for a Fortune 250 company, but cites his greatest achievements as… More